About New Beginnings Counseling Services, PLLC
"Promoting Healthy Lives"
NBCS will work to help clients enhance their ability to function in an ever-changing society by reducing stress and making meaningful life changes that will allow them to adapt to their environment. NBCS will offer an interpersonal, therapeutic approach aimed at facilitating change and allowing clients to feel comfortable discussing their problems and exploring new, innovative approaches to enhancing their lives.
New Beginnings' Executive Director / President
New Beginnings Counseling Services, PLLC has been in operation since June 9, 2010. The initial office was established in Pittsboro, NC and quickly grew to 2 other locations; Sanford and Siler City, NC. The agency was established as a result of Mrs. Murphy’s passion and vision to help hurting people from a broader perspective. Mrs. Murphy also owns and operates a residential group home in Goldston, NC for the DD/MR population.
Diann Dowdy Murphy is a native of Chatham County and a 1989 graduate of Chatham Central High School in Bear Creek, NC. She is the daughter of the late Larry Wesley Dowdy of Goldston, NC and Theresa Williams Allen of Sanford, NC. Mrs. Murphy is a licensed clinical therapist and a provisionally licensed addiction specialist, specializing in mental health and behavioral healthcare treatment. She obtained her bachelor’s of Science degree in Social Work from North Carolina Central University and her Master’s degree from University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Social Work Program where she graduated with honors and as a child welfare scholar.
Mrs. Murphy has over 17 years of experience in the human services field; 8 of which consisted of employment as a Child Protective Services Social Worker (CPS), specializing in child welfare issues. Mrs. Murphy along with her team of professionals has over 40 years of combined experience working with the mental health and substance abuse populations.
Mrs. Murphy is a member of the National Association of Social Work organization and other elite organizations; she is a welfare scholar in the state of North Carolina with a specialization in child welfare services. Mrs. Murphy is committed to her work with distressed individuals and has worked aimlessly to ensure that effective services are implemented to promote positive change in their lives by incorporating an array of treatment modalities to help them achieve their greatest potential.
Mrs. Murphy along with her agency (NBCS) is committed to providing professional services from a holistic perspective in order to promote healthy living and provide comprehensive mental health/substance abuse services for children, teenagers and adults.
Mrs. Murphy’s professional trainings include but are not limited to the following:
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker
- Licensed Clinical Addiction Specialist (provisional status)
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Mental Health Diagnostic Training
- Targeted Case Management (Train-the-trainer)
- Understanding Adult Mental Health Issues
- Cognitive Behavior Therapy
- Understanding Child Mental Health Issues
- Responding to Families and Communities Impacted by Methamphetamine
- Effects of Separation and Loss on Attachment
- Setting the Stage for Family-Centered Meetings: An Agency and Community Orientation
- Cornerstone IIIA - Partners in Change: A New Perspective on Children's Protective Services
- How to Diffuse Potential Violence in the Workplace
- Medical Aspects of Child Abuse and Neglect for Non-Medical Professionals
- Legal Aspects of Child Welfare in North Carolina
- Child Development in Families-at-Risk
- Child Welfare in North Carolina
- Enhancing Attachment Through Parenting Techniques: For Parenting and Professionals
- Domestic Violence Training
- Certified Substance Abuse Counselor (pending)
- Certified School Social Worker in NC